Thursday, February 25, 2010

From the AV Room: Of Isolation and Melancholy

San Francisco's black population has declined from 13% in 1970 to 7% today. Micah sees himself as less than one-in-ten; Joanne sees herself as just one. Medicine for Melancholy explores love, race, and, to my mind, America's most beautiful city.

Watch:

Medicine For Melancholy - Official Trailer from Strike Anywhere on Vimeo.


Then watch:


Fly Brother
welcomes your views. If this post hit the spot, please comment and/or click
.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My husband and I recently watched this and liked it a lot. We visited San Francisco last year to see Amel Larrieux perform and fell in love with the city. We would LOVE to live there.

I always read about black isolation there, but I saw a significant number of black people there. Perhaps it was a fluke. Can't wait to go back though.

Gem

Lenoxave said...

I've been here for 7 years and am still not totally comfortable and never will be.

Fly Brother said...

Rainbow: Thanks for stopping by. Like your blog! If you were in the downtown area, I think you'll see a lot of students and office workers who've commuted in from the East Bay, where the black population is significantly larger. The percentage of blacks among the homeless is also pretty disproportionate to the overall numbers as well. I started feeling a little bit "singular" when hanging out in Pac Heights, the Marina, North Beach, and other 'hoods with upscale dining and entertainment. That said, the diversity of cultural offerings is phenomenal, as are the lingering sunsets and stunning city views. When I'm looking for "us," I guess I could always BART it over to Oakland for the evening.

SDG: You're in the Bay? Why come you didn't holla at me about the meet-up?! Would have loved to have gotten your perspective.

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

I really want to see this film. Heard great things about it.