Monday, January 25, 2010

Two Weeks in Central America

Photo by youngrobv
Because of a bureaucratic bottleneck involving my Brazilian work papers, I'm not heading down to Brasilia for another month. So I decided to use the 40,000 Delta SkyMiles I had stashed in my account for an excursion to warmer climes. In my last post, I asked readers for suggestions on how to use the miles, mostly to get ideas but also to maybe get some lurkers to out themselves; that didn't work very well (thanks, Ali La Loca, for your input) but some of my friends did weigh-in via phone and email.

So, after many, many hours of checking and cross-checking dates and destinations, I snagged a round-trip to Guatemala City for 35,000 miles (plus $55 in taxes). I'll be gone for two weeks, making the circuit from Guate across the Honduran border to Tegucigalpa, the Caribbean beach town of La Ceiba, industrious San Pedro Sula, then back into Guatemala to check out the Mayan ruins of Tikal before heading back to the capital for my return flight.
I get to see stunning Mayan pyramids, experience the Garifuna culture of the Honduran coast (a mixture of African and indigenous flavors alongside crazy-gorgeous beaches), and spend about two-thirds less money than I'd be spending just chilling in the chilly—and expensive—US of A.

See, travel can help you save money!

If you're in the area during the first two weeks of February, know someone who is, or know of something I should experience while in Central America, definitely give me a shout!

And, of course, you're certainly invited to come with.

(By the way, I'm not going to the colonial city of Antigua because, well, after Saint Augustine, Santo Domingo, Havana, Cartagena, Bogotá, San Juan, Panama City, Popayán, Quito, Villa de Leyva, and Salvador da Bahia, I'm kind of colonial-ed out!)

Fly Brother welcomes your views. If this post hit the spot, please comment and/or click.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Tikal is really impressive. I hope you enjoy the trip, and, as always, I am looking forward to reading about it.

Jami said...

America is large country, where is a lot of things to see like resorts.Thanks for narrating really nice information. It is very difficult to manage travel these days. Here you can get perfect ideas, reviews of different people from Hank Freid easily without any anxiety & can make your travel budget friendly