Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Colombia Mía: Paisas

Four years ago, I first visited Colombia at the behest of the friend of a friend who worked as the academic director at a bi-cultural language center in Medellín, the country's second-largest city, best known for its controversial benefactor, Pablo Escobar. I fell in love with the place, partially because of the hours-long conversations I had with a couple of paisas from the City of Eternal Spring: a spunky college student from the neighborhood and the well-read security guard (with empty shotgun) at my friend's apartment building. Unfortunately, the job I was offered at the language center didn't pay very well and I ended up accepting a better-paying university position in Colombia's fourth-largest city, Barranquilla. C'est la vie.

Fly Brother
welcomes your views. If this post hit the spot, please comment below and/or click
.

2 comments:

A Cuban In London said...

Many thanks for this beautiful homage to a country that is very close to my heart. I love those paisas, too.

Greetings from London.

Fly Brother said...

Cubano: I had an amazing time in Medellín, and me thinks that, had I moved there instead, I may not have decided to hit Brazil after all.

Hm...perish the thought. ;-)